Friday, June 21, 2013

Chocolate Cannoli Cake Roll! So good!

So I don't know about you but when I bake or cook something it almost never turns out exactly like the picture! My husband always says it doesn't matter because it tastes great but it can be frustrating. Sometimes I go for taste and a different look because I know I won't get the look in the magazine. Once again I tried something new today and again not so much like the picture but oh my so tasty! 

My husband and I were having a romantic picnic in the back yard tonight and I wanted a special dessert something sweet and different. Looked through my taste of home magazine and found the perfect thing. Chocolate cannoli cake!
Prep 20 min + chilling
Bake 15 min + cooling
Makes 12 servings depending on how wide you cut it
cake
1 3/4 cups chocolate cake mix
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons oil
3 eggs
filling
1 package 8oz cream cheese
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Line a 15in-10in-1in baking pan with greases wax paper; set aside
In a large bowl mix the cake ingredients together 30 seconds on low and 2 minutes high. Pour into prepared pan.
(I forgot to take a picture before it went in the oven but did get one after :)


 Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners sugar. 
 Gently peel off the wax paper. Roll up the cake jelly roll style. Starting with a short end. 
 Cool completely on a wire rack
 Side view of mine you can see where I started to roll it broke! Of course :P
 In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy, add in ricotta cheese, confectioners sugar, vanilla and cinnamon, beat until smooth. Stir in mini chips. 
 Unroll cake; spread filling over the cake leaving 1/2 inch from edge of the cake. 
 Roll up again. Place seam side down on serving tray, refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting and serving. 
 Side view you can see where mine cracked and broke where the roll started but it tasted awesome! 
Was the perfect dessert for our picnic and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. It has become a fast favorite and will be added to my cake folder :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment