Tuesday, June 11, 2013

handmade rug from old sheet set

Well I got food poisoning last week! Oh my, I have never had it before and it was so horrible. I am so grateful that a few guys my husband works with were able to cover for him for a day so he could help with the kids that first day of it. I still don't feel overly hungry and its been a week. I had no idea the effects lingered so long!

Anyway That gave me some time to look around online for some new fun craft ideas I wanted to make.  I came across a beautiful braided rug with sweet little butterflies on it. Butterflies is the main theme in our youngest bed room so I decided I wanted to make her one because I wasn't spending over $100 on a tiny little rug for an infants room! So this was my first attempt at making a rug :) I think it came out pretty well all things considered. 

My oldest had a sheet set that was in the scrap material pile that was white with little bright colored butterflies on it! Perfect! I cut the sheet into 1.5 inch strips. I started out with slightly smaller strips which didn't work as well as the 1.5-2 inch strips. 

I than tied each strip together, you could sew them together but I think tying works as well and adds a little character to the finished product. I did one very long crocheted chain that I than coiled and sewed the coils together. You could put some type of backing on the rug but for the look and purpose I had I didn't feel it was really needed. 

So this is my finished product my daughter seems to like it, well attacking it mostly :) I have not been able to get a good picture of her on it yet. 



Like I said its not perfect but I think its pretty good for a first try. I plan to make one for my oldest next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment